Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas reflection

So we are going to deviate from our usual blog posting about Jacob and I (Mom) am going to reflect a little on Christmas. I have been trying to keep the season in perspective and refrain from filling up the days with too many activities or to do lists. This is especially difficult when the demands of the season can seem to pull you in a million different directions!On Friday I attended the St. Greg's M.O.M.S. (ministry of mothers sharing) Christmas event and party. The evening started out with a wonderful hour of music by Father Bill Quinlivan. It was very moving and inspirational. Friday was also the Feast Day of our Lady of Guadalupe so Father centered the concert around the issue of life, especially the life of Jesus Christ and the lives of the unborn. There were three songs that especially touched me. The first was a song about a set of triplets that were born prematurely. Father was called to the hospital to baptize these three little babies who only lived for a short hour. The song he sang talked about how these babies were given three lives. They lived an earthly life if only for an hour, they were given new life in baptism and final they were taken home to eternal life. It was a beautiful and moving song.

The second song that I enjoyed was called "Bethlehem boys." This song talked about the Feast of the Holy Innocence that is celebrated on December 28th. This feast day is often forgotten much like the opened gifts and wrappings that lie under the Christmas tree during the post-Christmas malaise. The book of Matthew in the Bible talks about how King Herod, after hearing the news that a Savior was born, orders a decree that all the baby boys in Bethlehem and the surrounding country side be killed. Joseph, Jesus' father, is warned in a dream to avoid Bethlehem so that baby Jesus' life was spared. However, many mothers and fathers mourned and cried throughout the land as their innocent sons were taken from them. Father's song was a tribute to this sad event that is evidence of what true hate can bring.

The final song that I loved, father dedicated to all mothers. This song was originally written by Amy Grant. It is called "I Need a Silent Night." When Father Bill sang this song it was only the second time I'd heard it. I heard it previously last week on Family Life radio. The lyrics are self-explanatory so here they are:

"I've made the same mistake before

Too many malls, too many stores

December traffic, Christmas rush

It breaks me till I push and shove

Children are crying while mothers are trying

To photograph Santa and sleigh

The shopping and buying and standing forever in line

What can I say?

I need a silent night, a holy night

To hear an angel voice through the chaos and the noise

I need a midnight clear, a little peace right here

To end this crazy day with a silent night

December comes then disappears

Faster and faster every year

Did my own mother keep this pace

Or was the world a different place?

Where people stayed home wishing for snow

Watching three channels on their TV

Look at us now rushing around

Trying to buy Christmas peace

I need a silent night, a holy night

To hear an angel voice through the chaos and the noise

I need a midnight clear, a little peace right here

To end this crazy day with a silent night

What was it like back there in Bethlehem

With peace on earth, good will toward men?

Every shepherd's out in the field

Keeping watch over their clock by night

And the glory of the Lord shone around them

And they were so afraid

And the angels said fear not for behold

I bring you good news of a great joy that shall be for all people

For unto you is born this day a Savior, who is Christ the Lord

And his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Prince of Peace

I need a silent night, a holy night

To hear an angel voice through the chaos and the noise

I need a midnight clear, a little peace right here

To end this crazy day with a silent night

To end this crazy day with a silent night"

[ I Need A Silent Night Lyrics on http://www.lyricsmania.com/ ]

We wish for all of you and yours a very blessed, peaceful and holy Christmas!

Love,

Sarah, Jay and Jacob

No comments: