Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ashes to ashes

Today is Ash Wednesday. Our foreheads were marked with ashes as the words "You are dust, and to dust you shall return" were whispered. Our Lenten journey has begun as we attempt to follow in Christ's footsteps. Christ's cross becomes our own and vice versa. We prepare our hearts and minds for Jesus' crucifixion and eventual resurrection from the dead. Ashes serve as a beautiful reminder of our humility. The palms that we received during last years Palm Sunday were burned and are used as the sacramental ashes that grace our foreheads on this day. I pray that this Lent will bring our family and others closer to Christ. Alms giving, fasting, prayer and spiritual renewal are all ways to help bring us closer to God's kingdom here on Earth. Are you ready to begin walking on this Lenten journey one step at a time? I hope that I am. God's peace to you all.

1 comment:

kristenita said...

beautiful, sarah!
this time of year always reminds me of when I lived/studied in Jerusalem. I literally walked in Christ's footsteps & love to remember that sacred place & how close I felt to Him there. the great thing is that we don't have to be in The Holy Land to be close to Him! prayer, fasting & repentance are ways that we can be close to Him always. thanks for the reminder.
Let me know if you need me to watch the kiddos during this time if you need to get to mass without them!

PS what are you giving up for Lent?