Monday, December 13, 2010

All things Advent

This Advent has been full of joy and new discoveries for the boys! Jay has been busy gearing up for Part I of the Medical Boards (which I convinced him to take on the 23rd instead of the 30th, yeah!), but we have still managed to have some fun.  This year, our church has really been emphasizing the importance of celebrating Advent prior to Christmas. This is no easy feat, but how else can we properly prepare our hearts for Christ's birth? Jacob and I visited a local church, where over 300 nativities from around the world were on display! It was awesome. They even had a children's corner where the children could play with a nativity set. 


This set was made in Tanzania, Maria, you'll have to bring us one back someday!
 German nutcrackers! I love it!
 Isn't this a gorgeous nativity? I'm partial to purple!
So simple, yet beautiful.
This was Jacob's favorite nativity! It made music and moved.
Jacob loves the tree wise men!

Baking/eating sugar cookies! Yum!

I've been baking up a storm so that I can give away lots of yummy treats to neighbors, friends and family! I love doing this every year. I make some of my standbys and try out some new recipes every year. Jay gave me two new cookie cookbooks for my birthday, so I have tons of recipes to choose from. Here's what I've made this year:
-Grasshopper squares (the best chocolate/mint bars of all time)
-Chocolate chai snickerdoodles
-Sugar cookie cutouts
-Linzer bars
-Lemon bars
-Peanut butter thumbprints
-Chocolate peppermint balls
-Gingerbread
-Spicy pecans
Today (Dec. 13), on the feast of St. Lucy we planted some wheat. This wheat will be ready on Christmas, when we will cut it and place it in the manger with baby Jesus. We've been reading a lot of Christmas stories, talking about Jesus' birth and our Advent wreath and candles have really intrigued Jacob this year.

This weekend we put up our tree for YOU. It was a lot of fun to decorate!
 This is our mini tree in the dining room.
I'm still in search of the perfect angel for the top of our tree!
Our nativity (minus baby Jesus, who will make His appearance on Christmas)! It was given to us by one of my Grandmother's friends. I love it. It's made in Italy and quite old. This is our first real nativity and will be a family treasure for years to come.

May the joy of Advent be in your heart always.

2 comments:

kristenita said...

I love it!!! Nativities are the best... Don't tell Aaron, but I want to collect them. I just think they are all so special.
Check out fisher price for their awesome & adorable & kid friendly nativity.

I'm still in search for the perfect angel, too... And I will REALLY miss the Albanese cookies this year! :)

LaLaLa said...

Ha--I know where Kristen comes by her love of Nativity groupings. I have made quite a collection, and am always looking for the perfect next one. My search is to find one with Mary lying down and cuddling the Baby Jesus in her arms. I saw one at a creche display a few years ago, and have been seeking one like it ever since...

(Kristen's mom)